BIOTECHNOLOGY: INFRASTRUCTURE & CAPABILITY DEVELOPMENT IN THE STATE
Biotechnology, a frontier of science offers enormous possibilities of its use as a premium precision tool for the welfare of society and creation of wealth for sustainable commercial and socio-economic development. The sweep of biotechnology is quite vast as it embraces many sectors of the global economy with the potential to answer the pressing problems of immense growth in population, need for increased food, medicine, energy generation to clean environment. Biotechnology provides tangible solutions for human problems. Medical and agricultural industries can meet the challenges posed by increasing population, changing land use, environmental pressures and diseases.
Realizing the tremendous relevance of biotechnology in the context of socio- economic progress of the state, a Biotech Policy-2014 has been chartered with an aim to introduce new developments in the field of Biotechnology. To promote the growth of Biotechnology industry, policy envisages several fiscal and financial incentives and single window mechanism for clearance their proposal. The State would encourage growth of R&D, development of manpower and resources in key areas like bioinformatics, plant and animal biotechnology by networking with the existing institutions, universities and medical institutes.
- To facilitating Biotechnology Research and Innovation in frontier areas pertaining to the problems of the State.
- To develop Human Resource in the area of Biotechnology
- To develop Biotech networking Facility Centre at Bakshi ka Talab, Lucknow
- To implement the U.P. Biotech Policy-2014 and attract investors in the State
- To create Biotechnology Infrastructure for development of biotechnology within the State.
- Financial assistance to R&D projects in the area of Biotechnology
- Tissue Culture Laboratory for production of banana/flowers
- Vermicompost Unit
- Biodiesel Production Unit
- Blue Green Algae production Unit
- Azolla Production Unit
- Seed Processing Unit
- Funding of Research projects
- Biopreneurship Workshop
- Bio-Investors’ Meet/Conference in Biotechnology
- Centre of Excellence in Agri-Biotechnology
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE U.P. BIOTECH POLICY-2014
- Developing Biotechnology Infrastructure
- Human Resource Development
- Facilitating Biotechnology Research and Innovation
- Promotion of Biotech Parks/Clusters/Estates
- Bio-Centers for Rural Development
- Establishing Centers of Excellence (COE) for R&D
- Other special incentives are also proposed are:-
- Relaxation of Taxes on Biotechnology based Products
- ~ 30% of the produced product would be taken up by the State Government subject to the competitive price/rates
- Assistance to Cluster Development
- Relaxation on Mega Projects
- Encouragement to the Commercialization of R&D Findings
- Patent Registration & Product Registration
- ISO Certification
- Encouragement to Centers for Excellence
- Participation in Trade Fairs & Exhibitions
BIOTECH NETWORKING FACILITY CENTER
- Located at Bakshi ka Talab, Lucknow, UP, India
- Provides Industry-Academia Interaction opportunity
- Aims at employment generation and rural development
- Have infrastructure for developing low cost & low key technology packages.
- The areas focused are Biofertilizers, biofeuls, tissue culture, seed processing, biopesticides, medicinal & aromatic plants, etc.
HOW TO APPLY FOR R&D PROPOSALS?
R&D Project Proposals in the area Biotechnology has to be submitted ONLINE only on the Council’s website i.e. http://www.cstup.org/